geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Virtual Light <virtualli...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: listener load order
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:02:10 GMT
David thanks for the the reply. I am using geronimo 2.0 with Tomcat 6 all of which are part
of Websphere Community edition.  The web service servlet is being loaded first as the init
method is being called and the configurations parameters that would be there if the listener
had loaded first are null.  I verified this by removing the listener from my web.xml file
and calling the initialize method of this software from within the init method of my webservice
which produced the expected results.  Calling the initialize method directly is not the preffered
way to start this software up but it does provide me a temporary work around.

Regards,
Bill

From: david_jencks@yahoo.com
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: listener load order
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:19:56 -0700

On Apr 29, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Virtual Light wrote:I have a listener that I have added to my
web.xml file that needs to load before my webservice servlet is loaded.  My understanding
was that web.xml is processed in the order in which the entries are made.
I don't think you can ever rely on that behavior.  For instance the load-on-startup for servlets
definitely can contradict the order.
 The listener is the first thing in this file yet it appears to be being processed after the
servlet which I have added a load on startup param of 2 to see if this would make a difference.
 Is there some trick that I have missed here?  An entry in the geronimo web.xml file?  Some
other way to force the listener to load first?
In our jetty implementation we have code that should be loading all the listeners before any
servlets or filters.  I would expect tomcat would load all the listeners before anything else,
and AFAIK spring apps depend on this behavior.  Knowing which geronimo version and which web
container you are using might help to track down the problem.
How do you determine that the listener is created after the servlet?
thanksdavid jencks

Regards,
Bill