geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 1.1.1 + ActiveMQ - How do I allow pages to find amq.js?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:20:18 GMT

On Apr 29, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Andrew Thorburn wrote:

> Doh. Should probably have been a bit more specific:
>
> I'm trying to do AJAX stuff (using Javascript), and in order to do
> some testing, I need to be able to create a simple page that can be
> found by an existing project. So far, not too hard.
>
> The tricky bit is that it uses Geronimo, and I want the project to
> be able to find the ActiveMQ implementation. amq.js is the
> Javascript that allows a web browser to do AJAX stuff with a JMS
> queue. This is probably the important part - I want to use the AJAX
> functionality of ActiveMQ, and in order to do that, I need access to
> the various javascript files that contain the implementation. Right
> now, my project can't find them, and thus I'm kinda stuck.
>
> The exact version of AMQ doesn't matter (right now, anyway),
> however, the version of *Geronimo* does - I can't upgrade from 1.1.1
> to 2.* because the project I'm working on has issues with it.

Have you complained about the issues, filed jiras etc?  If not please
do :-)

> As such, 3.4 seems like it would work just as well as 5.0.0,
> provided 3.4 has AJAX support. If it doesn't, then what I'm trying
> to do will never be successful, and I'm a little screwed.
>
> I'll keep playing around with the dependencies and see if they'll
> work for me.
>
> I hope that makes things a bit clearer with regards to what I'm
> trying to do.
>
> Also, while I'm here, if I wanted to use ActiveMQ 5.0.0 (or any
> version apart from what's provided), what would that involve for
> Geronimo 1.1.1? Would it be a simple matter of adding it to the
> repository (i.e. click and drag), or would it be more complex than
> that?

You definitely won't be able to administer amq 5 from the geronimo
console like you can with the built in amq.  If you run the g. admin
console you will probably have to be very careful with your
classloaders since IIUC the console only runs if the built in amq is
running.  So you'll have to be careful to get AMQ 5 loaded in a
separate classloader.  A very basic integration more or less similar
to the built in integration should be pretty easy by copying and
modifying the broker gbean to start the appropriate amq 5 class.  You
should use the native xbean xml configuration rather than trying to
get all the geronimo gbeans to work.

Even easier.... IIRC AMQ 4 and 5 have a web app that starts up a
broker (that you can then use the ajax stuff on).  IIRC this even has
the broker classes inside.  So if you deploy this web app and make
sure the build in amq is not in the classpath that will probably work.

Hope this helps
david jencks