geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Xasima Xirohata" <xas...@gmail.com>
Subject POJO caching in geronimo
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:22:26 GMT
Hi. I want to figure out what is the proper strategy to plug-in POJO cache
into geronimo (2.1).
I want to use the different implementation of caching (HashMap,  EHCACHE,
JCS) and work in standalone mode  (not explicit clustering support for the
first time).

In the existed code we just want to get a cache instance using JNDI, cast
this to java.util.Map and  invoke plain put/get methods.
I have explored geronimo docs and found the following possibilities:
    1) use the terracotta (
http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/orgsite/Distributed+Caches)
that exposes such an wrapper around different implementation.
    2) use the wadi and the
http://incubator.apache.org/wadi/wadi-core/apidocs/org/codehaus/wadi/gridstate/impl/GCache.htmlclass
somehow
    3) use the custom gbean as wrapper upon different implementation of
caching (as the general solution for any separate custom services).

Unfortunately, the 70Mb size of Terracotta seems too heavy to use for such a
use case when I don't plan to work with clustering at once.
I don't found a page to integrate this options with WADI, please provide
some details on this..
So I have stopped with the last way. I think that having POJO cache exposed
as gbean (instead of using as regular embedded jar) is a right strategy
since it is quite naturally to
    1) implement initializing, clearing, storing (if persistence is on) of
POJO cache when the correspondent geronimo lifecycle events occur
    2) providing different <attribute > </attribute> in the gbean plan to
configure in external manner different  POJO cache parameters
    3) having MBean that reports on state and loads of the cache ( it may be
interesting how  much objects are consumes from this and if we need to
change expiration policy or allocate more size)

Am I right with the approach? Do you have any predefined gbeans (or
prototype in sandbox code area) code for this?
Could I use WADI for this purpose?
--
Best regards,
~ Xasima Xirohata ~