geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Xasima Xirohata" <xas...@gmail.com>
Subject setting classpath for geronimo (problem with setenv.bat)
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:42:43 GMT
Hello, I have an EAR that expect to load a bunch of  parameters from special
'property' folder (folder/performance-prop.property,
folder/logging-prop.property and so on).
The resolving of these properties is done in the following manner
                     url =
ClassLoader.getSystemResource("relativePathToPropertyFile");
so classes just look into classpath for the  relative path of certain
property file, and the only I need is to put this property folder into
classpath of the application server.
When testing this EAR with WAS 6.1, I just set the path to this  'property'
folder using VirtualMashine/Process Definition/ClassPath tab in WAS 6.1
administration console.
When migrate to Geronimo 2.1 (bundled with jetty6, java 1.5 vm),  I have
experienced the following difficulties.
I haven't found any way to add some data to classpath from Geronimo
Administration Console, so I tried to set up this manually.
I created the 'setenv.bat' in the %geronimo_home%/bin  with the following
content
                     set
GERONIMO_OPTS="-Djava.ext.dirs=C:\path2propertiesfolder1;C:\path2propertyfolder2"
(actually I have several properties folder),
but this didn't help so I have pass this options directly into the
geronimo.bat where @REM Execute Java with the applicable properties

I've noticed that Administration Console  (
http://localhost:8080/console/portal/Server/Java%20System%20Info) never
lists the values that set up with such an approach.
The file var/log/geronimo.log doesn't list them as well, although when a
deploying occurs, this values appear into deployer.log. Thus it seems that
geronimo_opts really is used only at deployment.

But no above efforts are  sufficient to make this folder visible for my
application.

I know that this is possible to set up classpath using eclipse plugin. We
have tested this with WAS CE 1.x (server -> open ->
edit-launch-configuration-properties ->  user entries -> advanced -> add
folder).
I wonder what's the proper approach to set up the same with no eclipse
assistance.

I guess the following ways to do this that probably may help, although
haven't tried them yet
1) packed the PropertiesFolder as jar and place into
%geronimo_home%/lib/endorsed
2) packed the folder as jar and write a deployment plan to install this into
geronimo repository in the similar way as for common DB-Pool. After this we
probably need to declare  special dependency in regular EAR application /
geronimo-application .xml onto  group-artifact-resourcejar to list this as
resource.
3) use some special way to deploy (install) application with custom
classpath, and do this in local manner (just special options when deploy, or
using some maven-plugins) not global .bat file rewritting.

I think that the last options is the best one. Assume  the situation if
someone has different application that are supposed to be configured with
some properties files and these files  are located in different places. It's
too unnatural to move this data into application server lib or repository ,
since this is not suitable for user access and configuration.

Could someone please clear out the rules of classpath resolution?

--
Best regards,
~ Xasima ~