geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven2: deployment quickstart?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:49:35 GMT

On Mar 27, 2008, at 3:03 AM, Kristian Rink wrote:

<snip>

> So far, the same time we look at geronimo, we are into playing around
> with glassfish which seems to do better about these things for a
> simple
> reason: It provides a fairly sophisticated management interface to
> deal
> with all these issues in an easy way.

I'd be interested to hear what specific features you are finding
particularly useful (and feel Geronimo is lacking).

> Given that, and assuming to
> replace an existing, distributed environment by one "huge" (indeed
> monolithic it seems) Java EE container, there seems to be quite a
> benefit compared to our given situation, plus the chance to throw in
> things like EJB, JMS, ... easily to our Spring based applications. But
> the idea of the Java EE server being a standalone, well-administered
> runtime to just dump applications to and be reasonably sure they will
> start out is a tempting thing. From that point of view, I have indeed
> get acquainted to the idea of, say, building "my own app server
> distribution" by assembling an application server containing just my
> application. But maybe indeed it's just about getting used to it. At
> least, is there a way of running geronimo 2.x as a "traditional"
> application server (standalone installation on some dedicated host
> ready to recieve apps) as well?

Absolutely. We distribute a full-functioned, EE 5 compliant version of
Geronimo. We just have additional features which permit you to create
server images which are custom built to the requirements of your
application. Alternatively, you can create server images with custom
feature sets (JSP/Servlet, JPA, etc), but leaving out functions that
you'll never use and deploy applications in a traditional fashion.

--kevan