geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jay D. McHugh" <jaydmch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What si the diff between Geronimo and Apache+TomCat?
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:40:19 GMT
There a couple of small clarifications I would make to this - see inline

solprovider@apache.org wrote:
> On 4/18/08, pstein <pxsteiner@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>  I searched for while to find the diffs between Geronimo and Apache+TomCat.
>>  Unfortunately I miss a comparison side-by-side table which shows what is
>>  supported and what not.
>>  Are Apache+TomCat features a subset of Geronimo's feature set?
>>  Or is the primary advantage speed ?
>>  Does Geronimo support JAX-WS or only Axis?
>>  Peter
>
> Side-by-side comparison:
>
> Apache httpd = HTML + extensions for almost every Web technology.
> Written in C; predates Java.

Jetty and Tomcat are the two choices for web containers in Geronimo.
They provide pretty much the same functionality and choosing between
them is usually a matter of personal preference and/or the type of web
services you want to use.  The Tomcat distribution comes with Axis2
enabled and the Jetty distribution comes with CXF enabled.  I believe
that both (Axis2 and CXF) are included in the JEE distributions - But
the ones that I mentioned are the combinations that are enabled (by
default) and tested.
> Jetty = HTML + Java classes and JARs (Java ARchives).  Written in Java
> by Montbay using the Apache license.
>
> Apache Tomcat = Functionality of Jetty + WARs (Web ARchives for
> Servlets) + hot loading of Java (classes, JARs, WARs.).  Written in
> Java.

> Apache Geronimo = Functionality of Tomcat + EARs (Enterprise ARchives
> for J2EE) + Web Administration GUI. Written in Java.

See above.