geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deploy the codes i Tomcat successful but require advice for Geronimo. Thanks
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:13:36 GMT

On Apr 19, 2008, at 3:05 PM, newbie-gero wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm using geronimo 2.1. I did try deploying the directory(without
> compressing into .war format), but it gives errors. However i can
> deploy in
> Tomcat. Since tomcat and geronimo are from apache family, i will
> like to
> know if whether i can deploy the same way in geronimo as tomcat?
>
> To make my explanation clearer, u can try deploy my codes at the first
> message by unzip the file and deploy in tomcat

First, you have a problem in your geronimo-web.xml. Changing to
something like this fixes that problem:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.1"
          xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">
         <dep:environment>
                 <dep:moduleId>
                         <dep:groupId>sample2.applications</dep:groupId>
                         <dep:artifactId>VOApp</dep:artifactId>
                         <dep:version>2.1</dep:version>
                 </dep:moduleId>
         </dep:environment>
         <context-root>ims</context-root>
         <service-ref>
             <service-ref-name>services/ims</service-ref-name>
	    <port>
		<port-name>imsPort</port-name>
		<protocol>http</protocol>
		<host>localhost</host>
		<port>8080</port>
                 <uri>/ims/ims</uri>
             </port>
         </service-ref>
</web-app>

Note that the service-ref-name above doesn't match anything in your
web.xml (which has no service-ref definitions at all). You'll need to
fix this to have anything that will work. Deploying with the above
geronimo-web.xml will yield two warnings like the following:

15:52:03,509 WARN  [SwitchingServiceRefBuilder] Failed to build
reference to service reference [services/ims] defined in plan file,
reason - corresponding entry in deployment descriptor missing.

However, the deploy should work.

You can deploy in the following manner:

cp -r ims.war <geronimo-home>/deploy/

I'm not the biggest fan of hot-deploy. I'd suggest you use the
following technique:

cd ims.war
jar cvf ../new-ims.war *
cd ..
<geronimo-home>/bin/gsh deploy/deploy ims.war

(or <geronimo-home>/bin/deploy.sh deploy ims.war )
(or use the admin console)

--kevan