geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What si the diff between Geronimo and Apache+TomCat?
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:43:42 GMT

On Apr 18, 2008, at 2:35 AM, pstein wrote:

> I searched for while to find the diffs between Geronimo and Apache
> +TomCat.
> Unfortunately I miss a comparison side-by-side table which shows
> what is
> supported and what not.
>
> Are Apache+TomCat features a subset of Geronimo's feature set?
>
> Or is the primary advantage speed ?
>
> Does Geronimo support JAX-WS or only Axis?

Hi Peter,
Geronimo is a fully certified Java EE 5 server. Tomcat implements the
Servlet/JSP specifications, which is a subset of the Java EE 5
specification. So, Tomcat is a subset of Geronimo. If we don't
already, we should review the EE 5 technologies on our Wiki site --
e.g. http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/documentation.html. Having
network issues, at the moment. So, not sure if it's there already...

Geronimo comes in two configurations -- one embeds Tomcat for JSP/
Servlet functionality, the other embeds Jetty. Performance-wise,
Geronimo will be the same as Tomcat.

Geronimo provides all web services functionality required by the EE 5
specification (including JAX-WS). There's a choice for web services
implementations, also: Axis2 or CXF.

--kevan