geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo learning woes: Hibernate.
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:13:03 GMT

On Apr 2, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Peter L. Berghold wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I asked a similar question last week and I'm still scratching my
> head here.
>
> In order to track down what I'm missing I created a very simple
> application using Hibernate (if such exists) against a local database
> defining only one table.
>
> I've created my geronimo-web.xml file that looks like:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.2">
>    <environment>
>        <moduleId>
>            <groupId>net.berghold.testgeronimo.website</groupId>
>            <artifactId>Geronimo_Test_Hibernate_App</artifactId>
>            <version>2.0</version>
>            <type>war</type>
>        </moduleId>
>    </environment>
>    <context-root>/testgapp</context-root>
>
> </web-app>
>
> Simple... simple...
>
> The only JSP page does this:
>
> <%
> 	Mytest mt = new Mytest(new Date().toString(),"A Field");
> 	MytestDAO dao = new MytestDAO();
>
> 	dao.save(mt);
>
> %>
>
> Simple... simple...
>
> What I'm seeing happen is the data never gets saved.  Looking at the
> logs I see a variety of errors that pique my interest.
>
> %%%% Error Creating SessionFactory %%%%
> java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.HashSet
>        at
> org
> .hibernate
> .util.PropertiesHelper.resolvePlaceHolders(PropertiesHelper.java:88)
>
> being one and
>
> %%%% Error Creating SessionFactory %%%%
> org.hibernate.MappingException: Could not read mappings from resource:
> net/berghold/tg/persistance/Mytest.hbm.xml
>
> being another and even more interesting is
>
> Caused by: org.hibernate.DuplicateMappingException: Duplicate
> class/entity mapping net.berghold.tg.persistance.Mytest
>
> What the...?
>

> What is special about deploying Hibernate based apps under Geronimo
> that
> web searches haven't revealed, or will Hibernate even work under
> Geronimo?
>
> The HibernateSessionFactory that I'm using is pretty stock stuff that
> you find on the Hibernate.org website.  Looking at the book
> "Professional Apache Geronimo" yields no mention of Hibernate at all
> which is really making me begin to wonder.
>
> Anybody got any ideas out there?

One of the components used by Geronimo is setting a system property to
a value that is not a String and Hibernate is expecting only String
values in system properties.

You should be able to avoid this by setting the following:

export GERONIMO_OPTS=-
Dorg.apache.activeio.journal.active.DisableLocking=true

and restarting your server. This is supposed to be fixed in later
versions of Hibernate (and also will be fixed in later versions of
ActiveMQ, once we're able to move to a later version).

Googling 'hashset geronimo classcastexception' seems to work... ;-) We
should have a hibernate section in our doc... but then OpenJPA works
pretty well... ;-)

--kevan