geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: listener load order
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:19:56 GMT

On Apr 29, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Virtual Light wrote:

> I have a listener that I have added to my web.xml file that needs to
> load before my webservice servlet is loaded.  My understanding was
> that web.xml is processed in the order in which the entries are made.

I don't think you can ever rely on that behavior.  For instance the
load-on-startup for servlets definitely can contradict the order.

> The listener is the first thing in this file yet it appears to be
> being processed after the servlet which I have added a load on
> startup param of 2 to see if this would make a difference.  Is there
> some trick that I have missed here?  An entry in the geronimo
> web.xml file?  Some other way to force the listener to load first?

In our jetty implementation we have code that should be loading all
the listeners before any servlets or filters.  I would expect tomcat
would load all the listeners before anything else, and AFAIK spring
apps depend on this behavior.  Knowing which geronimo version and
which web container you are using might help to track down the problem.

How do you determine that the listener is created after the servlet?

thanks
david jencks