geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Help installing geronimo
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:06:20 GMT

On Mar 31, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Jason Warner wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-
> usenet@squeakydolphin.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:37:08 -0400, Jason Warner wrote:
>
> > If you wanted to deploy your static content directly into
> Geronimo, then
> > you could do so by building a war containing that content and then
> > deploying it.
>
> Ok, I got this all working with Apache and I looked at it and decided
> that this was all silly.
>
> Silly or not, it worked  ;)
>
>  I'm just going to package my static content up
> in a war file and install it that way.  If you have any tips for
> the best
> way to handle this, please speak up.

maven war plugin?

> Also, I saw that you don't really need to put them in a war, but
> can just
> deploy them in place.  That's one of the reasons I decided to
> change my
> mind on this.
>
> For static content, you could indeed do hot deployment.  You still
> need a deployment plan, though, so it's not too much different from
> deploying a war (in my opinion).  You're just skipping the step
> where you create the war, as far as I understand it.  I've never
> actually done a hot deploy myself, though.  Here's a page that
> explains how to deploy on 2.1.  It includes  hot deployment farther
> down the page as well.  http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/
> installing-and-removing-applications.html

Hot deployment and in-place deployment are not the same!  I'm not
sure  if hot deployment works with exploded war files or not, but IMO
relying on random timing for the successful deployment of your app
and the absence of definitive feedback on the success of a deployment
make hot deployment a really poor choice.

In place deployment of exploded wars makes a lot of sense during
development although I'd tend to question it in a production system.

thanks
david jencks