geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.1 and OS X
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:58:58 GMT

On Mar 19, 2008, at 3:43 PM, René Jansen wrote:

> I wanted to confirm 1), same problem here.
>
> Something funny is going on with Geronimo itself on MacOSX 5.2, Java
> 1.5:
>
> - on my Intel Macbook Pro, it runs without a hitch
> - on my dual 2.5 Ghz PPC Powermac, it hangs during startup. Like it
> is waiting for a lock, but: when starting with either java -verbose
> switched on or debug on, it does finish loading.

Ya, there's a startup deadlock which can occur on the Leopard JSE. I
get it intermittently on my MacBook Pro. Heard a report, last week,
that it's been seen on a Linux box, also... Here's a Jira with a bit
more info -- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3687

The real cause of the problem is -- http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5088398

I'm able to avoid this by running with jpda (YMMV and it's a bit of a
pain...). The following has never deadlocked for me:

./geronimo.sh jpda run

I'll start thinking about another work-around (hmm. or I wonder if the
old work-around has been regressed)...

--kevan