geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to use JAAS with JSF , best practice
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:20:01 GMT

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:00 AM, rbaumhof wrote:

> The workflow of the application should be the following:
> login.jsp:
>  user enters userid and password and presses the login button
>
> then:
>  someone (j_security_check) checks that this is a valid user. If
> user and
> password are valid the groups of
>  the users are loaded. If the user belongs only to one group (i.e.
> administrator) then the
>  welcome page with (administration) menue is displayed.
>  If the user belongs to more then one group (i.e. local-
> administrator and
> application-user)
>  then:
>    selectRole.jsp is displayed.
>    Here a listbox should be displayed where he can select the role.
>
> Now, when i describe the workflow, i see that this can not be done by
> servlet authentication mechanism. I think we must  write our own
> filter to
> watch the requested pages.
> Thanks for your help!!

I can't think of any good way to do this within the servlet
authentication mechanism right now either.  However, what you are
trying to do is generally a requirement of role-based authorization
systems with dynamic separation of duty constraints so I'm glad to
see there is actually some demand for the feature.

I think it may be possible to develop what you want in the (new)
JASPI spec which may be part of javaee 6 (I don't know one way or the
other).  It provides for a multi-message conversation between the
client and server to establish the clients identity.  It should be
possible to write a jaspi provider that can after initial
authentication ask for the desired role if there is more than one.

Geronimo doesn't implement jaspi yet but I'm hoping we can get to it
this year.  If you want to contribute that would be great!  If you
want to experiment with it I believe glassfish has an implementation:
I don't know if any other app servers do.

thanks!
david jencks