geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jason Warner" <jaw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installing Apache Solr into Geronimo
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:06:17 GMT
Hello,

I managed to get this deployed onto Geronimo, but the resolution is kind of
a hack.  The issue seems to be with the way the web.xml file is encoded.  I
think there are some special characters that are included when this file is
packaged into the war that aren't supposed to be picked up that geronimo
does.  I think it's similar to the issue that arises with endline characters
from windows causing issues when the file is used on unix.  The only thing
is that I also tried this on windows and it had the same issue.  If you're
looking to just get past this issue and get started, you can follow the
steps I'm about to outline to get a workable war file.  I did these on a
mac, but they should work just the same on ubuntu.  (All steps assume you
have apache-solr-1.2.0.tgz unzipped in ~/apache-solr-1.2.0)

1.  cd /apache-solr-1.2.0/dist/
1.  unzip apache-solr-1.2.0.war
2.  cd WEB-INF
3.  mv web.xml web.xml.bak
4.  Now you want to create a new blank web.xml file and open both web.xmland
web.xml.bak in your editor of choice (Gedit should work nicely).  Copy/paste
the contents of web.xml.bak into web.xml and save the file.
5. cd ~/apache-solr-1.2.0/dist/
6  rm apache-solr-1.2.0.war
7  zip apache-solr-1.2.0.war WEB-INF/ META-INF/ admin/ index.html

Now you can try deploying the war again.  Please let me know if you have any
issues.  I'm not sure if this is a geronimo specific issue or not.  It might
be worth bringing up on the solr lists, though.

This solution is far from elegant, and if anyone has a simpler solution
please speak up.  This is just what I came up with on my first look at it.

Hope this helps!