geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.1 Plan Creator => Deploy Liferay 4.1.1
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:29:30 GMT

On Mar 4, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Jim Foster wrote:
> <snip>
> Hi David,
>
> I am glad that this is turning out to be a productive discussion.
>
> I have some more review notes for you.
>
> For reference:
>
>   Constructing a special-purpose server using maven
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC21/Constructing+a
> +special-purpose+server+using+maven
>
>     [1] Preparation – find the artifacts
>     [2] Set up a parent maven project
>     [3] Repackage the liferay war
>     [4] Build a database plugin
>     [5] Build the liferay war plugin
>     [6] Build an assembly
>     [7] Run the project
>

> Note:
> In the following, I use the term "baseline" to mean your liferay-
> sample.jar
> attached to your wiki doc, which builds as it should in maven (hence
> "baseline"), and  "doc" to mean your wiki documentation.
>

> [3] baseline has this:
>
>       <version>4.4.1</version>
>
>     whereas the doc has this:
>
>       <version>${liferayVersion}</version>
>
>     which produces an artifact not found error (i.e., there is no
> liferayVersion defined at this point of the process).

fixed

> [5] baseline has this:
>
>       <dependency>
>         <groupId>com.liferay</groupId>
>         <artifactId>liferay-portal-lesslibs</artifactId>
>         <version>${liferayVersion}-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         <type>war</type>
>         <scope>provided</scope>
>       </dependency>
>
>     whereas the doc has this:
>
>       <dependency>
>         <groupId>com.liferay</groupId>
>         <artifactId>liferay-portal-lesslibs</artifactId>
>         <version>${liferayVersion}</version>
>         <type>war</type>
>         <scope>provided</scope>
>       </dependency>
>
>     which produces
>
>       [INFO]
> --
>       [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>       [INFO]
> --
>       [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
>       GroupId: com.liferay
>       ArtifactId: liferay-portal-lesslibs
>       Version: 4.4.1

fixed
> [6] baseline has this:
>
>       <properties>
>         <geronimoVersion>2.1</geronimoVersion>
>       </properties>
>
>     whereas the mvn command generates this:
>
>       <properties>
>         <geronimoVersion>2.2-SNAPSHOT</geronimoVersion>
>       </properties>
>
>     which produces
>
>       [INFO]
> --
>       [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>       [INFO]
> --
>       [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
>       GroupId: org.apache.geronimo.assemblies
>       ArtifactId: assemblies
>       Version: 2.2-SNAPSHOT
>
>       Reason: Unable to download the artifact from any repository

added a note near the top about this.

> [7] I see the same PermGen error.
>
> I wonder if we built this using MySQL rather than the system
> database (as
> the Liferay folks intended) we would be in better shape?
>
> After all, that database (the MySQL version at least) is just shy
> of 60MB,
> so it stands to reason that we are taxing resources here.
>
> I would like to explore this. Could you please guide me?

It's worth a try, although it's also a bit worrysome.  permGen OOM
errors normally mean you are creating too many classes.  The amount
of data being fed into a database shouldn't affect the number of
classes needed so if it is somehow affecting this I wonder if
something else is wrong.

I'll see if I can write up an example later today, but meanwhile you
might look at the mysql plugin for roller under plugins/roller/
trunk.  The basic idea is to build another database plugin, like the
derby one but using the mysql wrapper and include something like this
so the mysql plugin gets used instead of the derby one when it's
installed.

                             <artifact-alias
key="org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-derby-database/${version}/
car">org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-mysql-database/${version}/
car</artifact-alias>

Apache can't distribute something that automatically downloads  the
mysql driver jar which is why the roller plugin has mysql as a
prerequisite.  If you are in an environment where this is not a
concern you can leave out the prerequisite and geronimo will install
the mysql jar for you when you install the mysql plugin.

> I think I have the basics down of what would be needed, but I don't
> think I
> quite have it all down yet, and I would like to know for sure by
> hearing it
> from you.

I think you are getting there, keep asking questions!

> I would like to see us put this puppy to bed, you folks bless it
> for the
> general public, and move on (Liferay portal is but the first of
> several apps
> I am building on top of Geronimo - details of this project to be
> shared as
> we go).

looking forward to it!
thanks