geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>
Subject Re: How to install and run geronimo in linux?
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 23:54:09 GMT
Hi there, sry if this turns out to be a double post (I'm currently
having some mailing problems)

As you are new to linux maybe you also want some directions on bits and
pieces specific to G on linux. The following is some basic stuff so if
you feel you are comfortable with linux you wont find much of interest
in it ;)

Although it may (almost) be a question of taste (arguable) a good place
to "untar"  ( tar zxvf gernoimo-xxxxx-tar.gz ) Geronimo would be in
/usr/local (at least on a server install) and to get it running without
any special environment settings for java (as I assume you already have
installed) you can create and place a file called setenv.sh (its a
script file) in <geronimo-home>/bin (make it executable (x) with the
command "chmod og+x") containing something like this
#!/bin/sh

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms128M
-Xmx512M -server"

Naturally the JAVA_HOME setting depends on where your particular
distribution puts java (or how you have it set up) the above is on a
ubuntu system with sun:s java 1.5.x installed. Now to start the server
just open a console and cd to <geronimo home>/bin and execute the
command "./startup.sh" it will start the server. To keep track on whats
going on you may want to take a "tail" peek at G:s log files so in a
console, cd to <geronimo-home>/var/log and execute the command "tail -f
geronimo.log" (there is also a geronimo.out log file).

Also as mentioned by others a good place start for the G bits is on
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/installation-and-configuration.html

regards
 peter petersson