geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: maven2: deployment quickstart?
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:04:42 GMT
[2] ought to be able to deploy to remote servers with no problem..
That said I haven't tried it.  If it doesn't work it's probably a
very simple fix.  Basically you just need to specify where the remote
server is.

 From your description it sounds like you are assuming the app server
is an existing monolithic thing that doesn't really participate in
this process.  We are trying to develop an alternate viewpoint where
the  "app server" is something constructed around your application to
provide the runtime support it needs to operate.  With this point of
view you would either assemble an app server containing your
application(s) or construct assembly instructions and ship these to
the remote servers and then start the preconfigured servers with your
application already installed.

We have a lot of this working in 2.1.  The "predeployment" of apps
into geronimo plugins and assembly of servers from geronimo plugins
work well.  Currently the easiest to use assembly recipe is a maven
project.  We don't have distribution worked out too well.  If you can
run the assembly project or some other maven project on the remote
machine that would work fine.  There's also some remote management
capabilities using gshell, but I'm not sure how advanced they are.

I'm curious about what kind of remote management you expect to have
for the remote servers.

In any case I hope you find this interesting and continue to discuss
how it might fit into what you are trying to do.

thanks
david jencks