geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.1 and Seam
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:04:46 GMT
I talked with david blevins about this a little more.  From the
evidence available so far we think that seam is not jee5 compliant
with the tck requirements.  If openejb did not throw this exception
in these circumstances it would fail the tck.  Recall that seam is
developed on a non-jee5-certified platform.  Under these
circumstances we'd have a hard time changing openejb to not throw the
exception. Do you have any evidence that seam runs with a bean with a
@Destroy annotated method on any certified platform?

On the other hand the requirement appears to be only in tck code and
not stated in the spec.  Also, it doesn't make much sense.  Thus it
might be worth pursuing a challenge to the tck.  I would think the
jboss/seam developers would be the ones to start this although we
might challenge it also.  The challenge process typically takes a while.

Seeing the entire stack trace from your bean's @Destroy method to the
original exception might possibly shed more light on the subject.

Other than filling up your logs what problems is this causing?  If it
does not cause functional problems perhaps pursuing a challenge would
be the best solution.

thanks
david jencks

On Mar 7, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Burt Prior wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Our team really needs some help in solving
> this last
> issue with Geronimo and Seam.  There must be some way to resolve this.
>
> As I exercise Seam's booking app, I monitor the Geronimo log very
> closely.
> As I mentioned, the app works fine.  You can see the entities and ejb3
> (stateful) session beans are found (jndi) and loaded correctly.
> The only
> error we see is the one mentioned in my last post.
>
> The error is thrown, and the app continues on.
>
> Data is saved correctly in the DB, and the business logic in the
> session
> beans are executed in the container fine.
>
> After closer inspection of the log, the error appears every time
> any session
> bean is invoked, for example, 'BookingListAction' -> 'bookingList',
> 'HotelSearchingAction' -> 'hostSearch'.   I've went over the source
> code for
> these beans; they are simple and easy to understand, and I don't see
> anything that would cause this error.
>
> What every session bean shares is the following method and annotation:

> @Destroy @Remove
> public void destroy() {}
>
> I think this is related to the error, but I'm not sure.  I'm
> looking for
> something to change in any bean code, but I don't see a thing.
>
> The Seam 'booking' example is important to our team to work with no
> errors
> because this is exactly how we are building our current production
> app;
> (Geronimo 2.1, Seam 2.1, JSF (facelets), EJB3 Session Beans, JPA
> Entities).
>
> And everything works, except for this error!
>
> It appears to us that any 'Seam app' running on Geronimo 2.1 would
> experience this issue.
>
> Could we ask for you and your team's help to work with us in
> resolving this,
> and how we can move forward?
>
> Thanks very much for your time and help,
> .Burt
>

> David Blevins wrote:
>>

>> On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:30 PM, Burt Prior wrote:

>>> 13:16:36,385 INFO  [OpenEJB] invoking method create on
>>> jboss-seam.jar/EjbSynchronizations
>>> 13:16:36,385 INFO  [OpenEJB] finished invoking method create
>>> 13:16:36,495 INFO  [Transaction] TX Required: Started transaction
>>> org.apache.geronimo.transaction.manager.TransactionImpl@13a6ecc
>>> 13:16:36,495 ERROR [OpenEJB] The bean instance business method
>>> encountered a
>>> system exception: Callback methods cannot access parameters
>>> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Callback methods cannot access
>>> parameters
>>> 	at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .openejb
>>> .core
>>> .interceptor
>>> .ReflectionInvocationContext
>>> .getParameters(ReflectionInvocationContext.java:71)
>>> 	at
>>> org
>>> .jboss
>>> .seam
>>> .intercept
>>> .EJBInvocationContext.getParameters(EJBInvocationContext.java:34)
>>> 	at
>>> org
>>> .jboss
>>> .seam
>>> .intercept
>>> .SeamInvocationContext.getParameters(SeamInvocationContext.java:49)
>>> 13:16:36,495 WARN  [Component] Exception calling component @Destroy
>>> method:
>>> hotelBooking
>>> javax.ejb.EJBException: The bean encountered a non-application