geronimo-user mailing list archives

From <fr...@nc.rr.com>
Subject Re: Returning String[] from WebService method
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 01:44:01 GMT
No difference, except it pointed out a bug in the geronimo-web.xml of the sample:
      <uri>/jaxws-calculator/calculator</uri>
should be
      <uri>/jaxws-calculator-1.0/calculator</uri>
But once corrected, the result is the same:
The string array returned has 7 element(s):
Value
1
34532
Value
2
54534

Other suggestions?  I've tried a lot of different things so far, none have fixed the problem.

Fred

---- Jarek Gawor <jgawor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just from a quick glance it looks like the result.jsp is not quite
> right. It should look like the one shown here:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/simple-web-service-with-jax-ws.html
> (titled add.jsp where jndi lookup is done). See if changing that
> helps.
>
> Jarek
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM,  <frowe@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> > I'm having a problem returning a String array from a method of a webservice.  In
order to provide a simple way to recreate the problem, I modified the 2.1 webservices sample
( http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/developing-a-simple-calculator-web-service.html ) such
that the add() method returns a String[] instead of an int.  The mods were simple, I changed
the "return" element of the addResponse in the wsdl of the sample
> >  from:
> >         <xsd:element name="return" type="xsd:int"/>
> >  to:
> >         <xsd:element name="return" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> >  and the CalculatorService.java (and the corresponding interface it implements)
from:
> >     public int add(int value1, int value2) {
> >       return value1 + value2;
> >  to:
> >     public String[] add(int value1, int value2) {
> >       return new String[]{"Value 1", String.valueOf(value1), "Value 2", String.valueOf(value2),
String.valueOf(value1 + value2)};

> >  and then changed the result.jsp to expect a String[] and iterate over the contents
printing out each element,  If I add 3 + 4, I expected the result.jsp to display:

> >  Value 1
> >  3
> >  Value 2
> >  4
> >  7
> >
> >  but I get instead:
> >  Value
> >  1
> >  3
> >  Value
> >  2
> >  4
> >  7
> >
> >  It seems that in the process of converting the response into a Java String[], the
whitespace of the individual strings is acting as a delimiter.  Thus instead of getting an
array of 5 strings, I get an array of 7 strings instead.  What have I misconfigured?