geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Cedric Hurst <cedric.hu...@gmail.com>
Subject ClassLoader.getSystemResourceAtStream() within Geronimo utility JAR?
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:52:28 GMT

I have a utility JAR which reads from a flat file ("cities.txt") which is
contained within the JAR itself.  This file is used to initially populate a
collection in memory.  I'm using the ClassLoader.getSystemResourceAsStream()
method to retrieve this flat file as an InputStream within my utility JAR
class.  In Java SE, I can add the utility JAR the the classpath of a client
and it will find the flat file just fine.  But if I try to deploy this JAR
to Geronimo and use it within a web application,
ClassLoader.getSystemResourcesAsStream() returns null.  I'm guessing
Geronimo is doing some tricky things which involve overriding the system
classloader.  Here's the stack trace.

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.io.Reader.<init>(Reader.java:82)
	at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:89)
	at util.cityLookup.Lookup.init(Lookup.java:21)
	at util.cityLookup.Lookup.checkInitilization(Lookup.java:45)
	at util.cityLookup.Lookup.citiesBeginningWith(Lookup.java:52)
	at web.jsf.CitySuggester.getCityList(CitySuggester.java:10)
	at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:79)
	at
	at org.apache.el.parser.AstValue.invoke(AstValue.java:131)
	at org.apache.el.MethodExpressionImpl.invoke(MethodExpressionImpl.java:276)
	at
org.apache.myfaces.el.convert.MethodExpressionToMethodBinding.invoke(MethodExpressionToMethodBinding.java:73)
	... 30 more

I've attached the JAR file.  Is there an alternate means of accessing the
flat file within my Lookup class (without using absolute paths)?

http://www.nabble.com/file/p16384195/cityLookup-1.0-NABBLE.jar
cityLookup-1.0-NABBLE.jar