geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jim Foster <jfos...@tmtsaz.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.1 Plan Creator => Deploy Liferay 4.1.1
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:37:10 GMT

Peter Petersson-2 wrote:

> Hi Jim
>
> If you do a google search on "liferay permgen" you will get a lot of
> results about it so this seems to be a general "issue".
>
> I have been testing out several older versions of Liferay with Geronimo
> 1.1.1 and 2.0.2 and my experience with it is that Liferay is a real best,
> although a nice one ;) that likes a lot of memory so try bump up memory by
> setting it to something like -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m in
> you java opts and hopefully it will stabilize.
>
> Good luck with this, I am following it with great interest, unfortunately
> I have a buzzy time with work at the moment else I would have joined in
> this endeavour.
>
> regards
>    peter petersson

Hi Peter,

Thank you for this info!

I took your suggestion and brought myself up to speed on PermGen, and a good
bit of all things related to Java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

All I can say is that there's certainly a lot more to fine-tuning the
classloading going on behind the scenes than one would first imagine.

This brings up another question: How do you folks manage this?

What tools would you recommend that I add to my toolbox so that I can really
understand what's really going on beneath the covers?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, this project I am involved with will be
weaving together several applications to be deployed on top of Geronimo, so
sooner or later, fine-tuning performance issues will become a reality.

I'd like to get a handle on such things as early in the development cycle as
possible.

Again, thanks for the tip!

Jim