geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Brian Dellert" <bdell...@rcn.com>
Subject Configuring embedded Derby security in Geronimo 2.0.2
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:38:27 GMT
Hi.

I am evaluating using the Derby instance embedded in Geronimo to store application-specific
data.  The data would be stored in a separate, application-specific database.  In order to
achieve this, I would need to lock down this application-specific database so that un-authorized
processes (which did not authenticate with a username/password) would not be able to access
the database.  This could occur, since it is possible to connect to the Derby instance on
port 1527 on the machine where Geronimo is running and, by default, no username/password is
required to connect.  It should be noted that there are scenarios in my application where
authorized remote processes will need to connect to this Derby instance, so simply disabling
the Derby 'network server' is not an adequate solution.  I searched through the Geronimo documentation
and this mailing list, but could not find any info on this topic.  Any help regarding how
to configure Geronimo to meet these requirements would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

- Brian