There are two problems, both in Plan Creator feature:
1) Error message/Java Exceptions are suppressed by Plan Creator code and not shown to the user at all :-(

With liferay-portal-4.4.1.war, when I ran Geronimo in debug mode and remote connected via Eclipse (with a break point put at the beginning of  org.apache.geronimo.console.configcreator.JSR88_Util.parseWarReferences() function inside "plancreator-portlets" module), I found that we are getting following exception:

org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: AbstractWebModuleBuilder: Could not load servlet class: com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet

Instead of showing this error on Console, plan creator is currently suppressing it in an empty catch() block. GERONIMO-3850 is opened for this.

2) Secondly, I see that the class it is complaining "com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet" *does* exist, but inside a compressed jar ("portal-impl.jar") in WEB-INF/lib directory of WAR. Plan Creator has a current limitation :-( in resolving such classes. GERONIMO-3851 is opened for this.

Due to these bugs/limitations, I am sorry to say that you will again have to create geronimo-web.xml by hand. I found one "geronimo-web.xml" inside liferay-portal-4.4.1.war itself. I have removed non-existing dependencies from it and attached it in this mail. Please see if it works. (I guess it requires some pre-requisite db-pools to be deployed before the WAR can be deployed). Hope it helps.

--
Thanks,
Shiva