When you create multiple instances by making a copy of var directory, both the instances still use the same repository.  When you configure an additional repository for each instance so that the apps deployed won't go into the common repository, you need to specify the "target" repository at deployment time.  Deployment from admin console does not support this target option.  You will need to use the command line deployer.  To see the available targets in a particular instance, use "deploy --port RMIPortOfTheInstance --host hostname list-targets".  While deploying the app, you will have specify target using --target option.  Use "deploy help deploy" to see the help.

++Vamsi