Looks like your server did not start since port 9999 is already in use.  So, your deployer is unable to connect to the server.  Make sure that port 9999 is not in use before starting the server.  You may use the command "netstat -na" to see which ports are already in use.  Or you may edit var/config/config-substitutions.properties to change PortOffset (for e.g. to 10)so that there is no port conflict and then start the server.  If you used PortOffset to resolve port conflict, you will have to give --host and --port parameters when running the deployer.  The command would be something like the following:
bin/deploy.sh --host localhost --port 1109 deploy mule-examples.war <deployment-plan-file-name>

Here the port number is 1099 + PortOffset.  With PortOffset of 10 it will be 1109.  In this case your HTTP Port will be 8090.

++Vamsi