geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.1 Plan Creator => Deploy Liferay 4.1.1
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:15:42 GMT

On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:04 AM, Jim Foster wrote:

> Hi David,

> djencks wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> I think I have failed to communicate what I'm trying to tell you
>> what to
>> do :-)
>>

> That would explain why I had the feeling that I wasn't connecting
> all the
> dots...and which is why I took the time to explain all the details
> on my
> end.
>

> djencks wrote:
>>
>> I've tried to explain in more detail here:
>>

>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC21/Constructing+a
>> +special-purpose+server+using+maven
>>

> Now this is making sense.
>
> I wish I had this information a week ago.

Well.... I wrote it monday and wednesday so you would have needed a
time machine :-)

> djencks wrote:
>>
>> Two things I'm not trying to do:
>> 1. show you how to deploy liferay on geronimo
>> 2. give you a maven project that builds a liferay plugin and assembly
>>
>> What I am trying to explain is how you can set up a maven project
>> to build
>> liferay plugins and assemblies, with the help of the geronimo
>> archetypes
>> for these kind of projects.
>>
>> It looks to me from what you are describing below that you are
>> trying to
>> deploy liferay on geronimo.
>>
>> Although this might seem easier at first it's not automated and is
>> a hard
>> way to get a plugin let alone a server.
>>
>> Automating it using maven records what you do in executable form and
>> should provide a simple way to track progress towards a working
>> plugin and
>> something to update for new versions of liferay and geronimo.
>>

> Ok, I now understand where you are driving this.
>
> This sounds like a far superior approach.
>

> I have followed your instructions at your wiki page "Constructing a
> special-purpose server using maven", and all goes well until the
> step: Build
> a database plugin.
>
> It appears that the archetype is not found.

I forgot to deploy the snapshots.

I've changed the archetype name from geronimo-module-archetype to
geronimo-plugin-archetype and deployed a snapshot.  I also updated
the wiki page to the new archetype name.  I think the (modified)
instructions should now work, but you are definitely the guinea
pig :-).  The archetypes should download automatically but I haven't
tested this.

thanks
david jencks