geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:45:07 GMT

On Feb 17, 2008, at 2:25 PM, the666pack wrote:

> hello,
>
> i try to performance test the geronimo applicatoin server but after 2
> minutes of testing the JVM hangs up and i get the following message
> on the
> command line:

> my customized options for the jvm are:
>
> -server -Xms1280m -Xmx1280m -XX:PermSize=1280m -XX:MaxPermSize=1280m
>
> so this should be sufficient for the heap! unfortunately at 40
> simultaneous
> calls the JVM hangs and i just can kill it via the system call!
>
> i also observed that the memory is not allocated, there is still
> plenty of
> memory left (at least 3/4 of my 2048m) and it does not change the
> size also
> not with more requests. but after 2 minutes->crash!
>
> also my call is fairly simple: it is a single call to a JSP page
> which just
> returns the date. so this really should be possible. but i cannot
> see the
> reason for the Exception anymore!
>
> so if anyone can help, PLEASE!

Mario,
What version of Geronimo are you using?

If you're using the Sun VM and have a small application, then rerun
with the following options:

export JAVA_OPTS="-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:
+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

You can then use tools like YourKit to analyze the resultant .hprof
file. Recommend you must let max heap default (otherwise you end up
with a really large heapdump). If you can make the heapdump available
to me, I'll have a look... Or give me instructions on how to recreate,
and I'll see if I'm able to generate the same problem.

--kevan