geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Moni <moni_spar...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: starting geronimo automatically on fedora linux
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 19:04:47 GMT
How do you start up second geronimo instances on linux?  I used the following procedure to
create the second geronimo instance.  I started the server using startup.sh as I always do,
but looks like this does not start up the second server instance?  But all the modifications
and changes were made to geronimo.sh and setjavaenv.sh and both are invoked when the server
was started up, but nothing is listening at http://10.2.2.2:8090/console/

however I can access the default server instance at http://10.2.2.2:8080/console/

Assuming that there is no console interface for the second instance I tried to shut the server
down using

shutdown.sh --port 8090 or 2000 as I have the portOffSet set to 10 I get the error:

Could not communicate with the server.  The server may not be running or the port number may
be incorrect.

Multiple Server Instances
A server instance is easy to create in Geronimo:
Set the org.apache.geronimo.server.name system property to the instance name before you start
the server.
Use the syntax -Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=foo to name your instance foo.
There are two ways to do this:
Add this to your GERONIMO_OPTS environment variable, or
Pass it on the java command-line invocation of the server.
This server's var and deploy directory will then be under <geronimo_home>/foo.
org.apache.geronimo.server.name may be any pathname relative to (descending from) <geronimo_home>.
For example, servers/bar would put the server's var directory under <geronimo_home>/servers/bar.

The org.apache.geronimo.server.dir system property may also be used, and it overrides org.apache.geronimo.server.name.

Use org.apache.geronimo.server.dir to specify an absolute path, which need not be relative
to <geronimo_home>. For example, /ag20/servers/bar would put the server's var directory
under /ag20/servers/bar. Otherwise, the two system properties behave the same.
mkdir foo
Copy var/* to foo/var/
Edit foo/var/config/config-substitutions.properties, uncomment PortOffset and change it to
a value like 1,2,10,11,12,20,21,22,... so the ports in the new server instance will not conflict
with existing server instances you already have defined and/or started. (Alternatively start
the server with the property -Dorg.apache.geronimo.config.substitution.PortOffset=3 in the
command line)
Start the server.
To deploy applications to the new server instance, you need to specify the NamingPort+PortOffset
used, such as for PortOffset=1:
deploy -port 1100 list-modules
ANY INPUTS WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks,