geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Shiva Kumar H R" <shiv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo v2.1 Plan Creator => Deploy Liferay 4.1.1
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:29:13 GMT
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Peter Petersson <peter@pmb.mine.nu> wrote:

>  Hi Jim
>
> I assume you are trying to install liferay in geronimo and not just
> generate a new plan, with you do not need to, as Shiva have provided you
> with one (the geronimo-web.xml).
>
> Aside from the security dependency issue you have that I hope **someone
> else** that are more familiar with the security (dependency) changes done
> between G v2.0.2 and v2.1 will help you with, there are a couple of more
> things to do:
>
> As the liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car is dependent (if you haven't
> changed the geronimo-web.xml regarding the db pool) on the
> liferay-portal-geronimo-derby-pool car, so to successfully install the
> liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car you have to install the derby pool
> **before** the liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car.
>
> After a smal tweak of the META-INF/geronimo-plugin.xml included in the
> derby-pool car file you should be able to install the db pool by issuing
>
> deploy --user <user> --password <passoword> install-plugin <derby pool
car file>

> The geronimo-plugin.xml tweak consist of changing the version tag in the
> geronimo-plugin.xml to <version>2.1-SNAPSHOT</version> (omit -snapshot for
> released geronimo). The same command (as above) can then be used on the
> liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat car (when the security dependency issue is
> fixed)

Looks like there is more to it than just that. I have been trying it since
yesterday and it is failing with below error:

Installation FAILED: A plugin configuration must include one plugin
artifact, not 0

Any idea where is the source for
liferay-portal-geronimo-derby-pool-4.4.1.car ?

> Maybe this link will be of some help to you even though it is a bit
> outdated http://wiki.liferay.com/index.php/Liferay_with_Geronimo
>
>  regards
>   peter petersson
>

> Jim Foster wrote:
>
> Shiva Kumar H R wrote:
>

>  There are two problems, both in Plan Creator feature:
> 1) Error message/Java Exceptions are suppressed by Plan Creator code and
> not
> shown to the user at all :-(
>
> With liferay-portal-4.4.1.war, when I ran Geronimo in debug mode and
> remote
> connected via Eclipse (with a break point put at the beginning oforg.apache.geronimo.console.configcreator.JSR88_Util.parseWarReferences()
> function inside "plancreator-portlets" module), I found that we are
> getting
> following exception:
> org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: AbstractWebModuleBuilder:
> Could not load servlet class: com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet
>
> Instead of showing this error on Console, plan creator is currently
> suppressing it in an empty catch() block.
> *GERONIMO-3850<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3850> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3850>
> *is opened for this.
>
> 2) Secondly, I see that the class it is complaining "com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet"
*does* exist, but inside a
> compressed jar ("portal-impl.jar") in WEB-INF/lib directory of WAR. Plan
> Creator has a current limitation :-( in resolving such classes. *
> GERONIMO-3851 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3851> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3851>
*is
> opened for this.
>
> Due to these bugs/limitations, I am sorry to say that you will again have
> create geronimo-web.xml by hand. I found one "geronimo-web.xml" insideliferay-portal-4.4.1.war
itself. I have removed non-existing dependencies
> from it and attached it in this mail. Please see if it works. (I guess it
> requires some pre-requisite db-pools to be deployed before the WAR can be
> deployed). Hope it helps.

>  Hi Shiva,
>
> Is there any new word on the origins of the security configuration errors we
> were seeing?
>
> I have spent a good deal of time this week reading everything I could get my
> hands on, including a healthy chunk of the 120 Geronimo articles up at IBM's
> developerworks.
> (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/opensource/libraryview.jsp?end_no=120&lcl_sort_order=asc&type_by=All+Types&sort_order=asc&start_no=1&show_all=true&sort_by=Date&search_by=&topic_by=Geronimo&search_flag=&show_abstract=true).
>
> However, the most recent I could find that seemed relevant to this issue was
> on the wiki:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/installation-and-configuration.html
>
> However, this is an installation document, and provides little in the way of
> debugging guidelines, and I  am only now just far enough along in wrapping
> my head around all the technologies that make up Geronimo to get myself in
> trouble.
>
> Suggestions?
>

> Once past this, I would like your advise on how to bring up to date the
> Liferay-provided .car file for the derby pool. I looked at its contents, and
> I see that they are clearly wrong (my guess is that they were written forv1.1), but I
am not quite sure how to go about fixing it so as to be in

--
Thanks,
Shiva