geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Moni <moni_spar...@yahoo.com>
Subject Can you bind 2 separate geronimo server instances to 2 different ip addresses?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:01:02 GMT
Can you bind 2 separate geronimo server instances to 2 different ip addresses?

I changed the all IPs and host names in the config-substitutions.properties file for the new
instance.  I even changed the BASE_DIR to point to the new geronimo installation directory.
 But when I try to start up the server it gives the port in use error.

Is this possible at all running to instances of the server on 2 different IPs on the box?

I have seen the following setup, but our configuration thus far has been to use different
IPs for different server installs.

Any inputs will be much appreciated.

Multiple Server Instances
A server instance is easy to create in Geronimo:
Set the org.apache.geronimo.server.name system property to the instance name before you start
the server.
Use the syntax -Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=foo to name your instance foo.
There are two ways to do this:
Add this to your GERONIMO_OPTS environment variable, or
Pass it on the java command-line invocation of the server.
This server's var and deploy directory will then be under <geronimo_home>/foo.
org.apache.geronimo.server.name may be any pathname relative to (descending from) <geronimo_home>.
For example, servers/bar would put the server's var directory under <geronimo_home>/servers/bar.

The org.apache.geronimo.server.dir system property may also be used, and it overrides org.apache.geronimo.server.name.

Use org.apache.geronimo.server.dir to specify an absolute path, which need not be relative
to <geronimo_home>. For example, /ag20/servers/bar would put the server's var directory
under /ag20/servers/bar. Otherwise, the two system properties behave the same.
mkdir foo
Copy var/* to foo/var/
Edit foo/var/config/config-substitutions.properties, uncomment PortOffset and change it to
a value like 1,2,10,11,12,20,21,22,... so the ports in the new server instance will not conflict
with existing server instances you already have defined and/or started. (Alternatively start
the server with the property -Dorg.apache.geronimo.config.substitution.PortOffset=3 in the
command line)
Start the server.
To deploy applications to the new server instance, you need to specify the NamingPort+PortOffset
used, such as for PortOffset=1:
deploy -port 1100 list-modules
Thanks,
Moni