geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Merging deployment plans
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:14:10 GMT
Hi Stuart,

Right now if you supply an external deployment plan any equivalent
inside the javaee app or module is ignored.  In general nothing is
merged.  However, you can mix up bits to some extent.  For instance,
for an ear, you could have an external ear plan that did not include
"sub-plans" for some modules, and have the plans for those modules
inside  the modules.

What specifically were you thinking of altering?  Rather than
modifying the plan you might be able to use some of the plugin
features.  Basically you can arrange to modify gbean attributes from
entries in the var/config/config-substitutions.properties file.
There's sort of a 3 step process (in geronimo 2.1, soon to be released):

- identify the gbean you want to configure in your app.  Everything's
a gbean, but many gbean for javaee components are not that easy to
configure directly as gbeans, so this idea may or may not be
appropriate for you.
- in the geronimo-plugin.xml specify a module to be copied into var/
config/config.xml that includes gbean configuration for the
attributes you want to be able to modify, with variables like
<attribute name="port">${MySpecialPort}</attribute>
- also specify entries to be added to var/config/config-
substitutions.properties
<config-substitution name="MySpecialPort">2000</config-substitution>

When you install your app-built-into-a-plugin into geronimo the
config.xml stuff will go into config.xml, the variables will get into
config-substitutions, and you will be able to customize the values by
modifying config-substitutions.

This is not a terribly complete explanation, so let me know if this
sounds interesting and hopefully I will have written up more
comprehensible documentation.

thanks
david jencks