geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Cedric Hurst <cedric.hu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo newby, stop recompilation
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:48:41 GMT

My guess is that this behavior is simply due to the nature of the server
adapter for Geronimo.  It's easier for the plugin to repackage everything in
your IDE and then send one big car file over to the server.  This method
also ensures that your code doesn't break if you're deploying to a server
used by multiple developers.

That being said, Geronimo does support a "hot deploy" option.  This allows
you to change individual classes on-the-fly, but this feature is
non-standard and can cause a number of class loading and dependency issues.
It's mostly useful if you're making changes to static content such as HTML,
CSS, images, etc.  In fully-interpretive languages like PHP, developers are
able to get away with making small changes on-the-fly because the pages are
interpreted from source each time they are called (IIRC).  But with Java,
we're a bit more limited by the fact that our classes are compiled down to
bytecode before they're executed.  Even our JSPs compile down to servlet
classes the first time they're called.

If you're willing to take the risk of breaking your application in
unexpected ways, you can create a new project in Eclipse and add a folder to
that project which links to the deployed version of your webapp in the
Geronimo repository:
[GERONIMO_INSTALL_DIR]/repository/[group-id]/[artifact-id]/[version]

You can make changes to the files in this folder and they should take effect
immediately, without repackaging the entire app.

I'm not an expert on exactly how that might affect in-memory copies of your
classes and JSPs.  But feel free to experiment and let me know how it goes.