geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: database pool url for geronimo
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:06:05 GMT

On Dec 6, 2007, at 11:07 AM, MShah wrote:

> I am using ajp13 connector and have no problem when going directly
> to the db
> using the following url:
>
> jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://server:1433/WEBDB;user=abcpassword=DB_PASS
>

> The above url is to go to the db direclty without using the geronimo
> database pool.  If you want to use the pool then what should the
> url be?  I
> have pasted this before as well and have not gotten a satisfactory
> response
> so far.

I may be misinterpreting what you are asking, if so I apologize in
advance.

A database pool is deployed separately from your app and includes the
information about which database you are connecting to, the pool
size, etc etc.  Then your app will include either a @Resource
annotated field of type DataSource, in which case geronimo will
inject the datasource for you,  or a resource-ref element in the
deployment descriptor together with a jndi lookup of the datasource.

One way to set up a datasource is to use the datasource wizard in the
admin console.  For MSSQL  you'll be using the generic tranql
wrapper.  Do not include the user name and password in the url,
instead  supply them as connector config parameters.

As you have noted the term "connector" is heavily overloaded: the
database connectors have nothing to do with the web connectors such
as the ajp connector you are using :-)

hope this helps
david jencks