geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Moni <>
Subject Re: database pool url for geronimo
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:24:18 GMT
I know it works with the url jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://server:1433/WEBDB;user=abcpassword=DB_PASS

When you use the above mentioned url you are connecting to the DB directly without going through
the database pool on geronimo.  What is the purpose of the database pool in geronimo then?
 The database pool on geronimo creates connections for you and has them ready for you to be
used.  If you go to the database direclty using the above url you are not using a connection
that is ready available in the pool but are establishing a brand new database connection yourself,
given the fact that creating a database connection yourself is by far the most expensive operation.

Has anyone referred to and used a Database connection from the database pool on geronimo ?
 If so then what is the url that you have used.  The url for the database pool on geronimo
is database independent.

Any inputs are much appreciated.

----- Original Message ----
From: David Jencks <>
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:06:05 PM
Subject: Re: database pool url for geronimo

On Dec 6, 2007, at 11:07 AM, MShah wrote:

> I am using ajp13 connector and have no problem when going directly
> to the db
> using the following url:
> jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://server:1433/WEBDB;user=abcpassword=DB_PASS
> The above url is to go to the db direclty without using the geronimo
> database pool.  If you want to use the pool then what should the
> url be?  I
> have pasted this before as well and have not gotten a satisfactory
> response
> so far.

I may be misinterpreting what you are asking, if so I apologize in

A database pool is deployed separately from your app and includes the
information about which database you are connecting to, the pool
size, etc etc.  Then your app will include either a @Resource
annotated field of type DataSource, in which case geronimo will
inject the datasource for you,  or a resource-ref element in the
deployment descriptor together with a jndi lookup of the datasource.

One way to set up a datasource is to use the datasource wizard in the
admin console.  For MSSQL  you'll be using the generic tranql
wrapper.  Do not include the user name and password in the url,
instead  supply them as connector config parameters.

As you have noted the term "connector" is heavily overloaded: the
database connectors have nothing to do with the web connectors such
as the ajp connector you are using :-)

hope this helps
david jencks