geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Geronimo Development Environment
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:09:46 GMT
On Dec 12, 2007 2:23 PM, Garth Keesler <garthk@gdcjk.com> wrote:

> Here's my question: What is the preferred combination of products for
> developing a Geronimo system that provides web services against a
> Postgres back end database? I currently use Eclipse Europa with WST but
> I also have a subscription to MyEclipse which seems to offer a nice set
> of tools to enhance the basic Eclipse. From what I have read, it
> supports Geronimo v2 but I have not been too successful in getting all
> the pieces to work together.

Hi,

Use (My)Eclipse for your preliminary work. Together with Geronimo
Eclipse Plugin it looks as a viable development platform. Take a look
at Intellij IDEA 7 that comes with Geronimo support and other nifty
tools for Java EE development. Since Geronimo's a Java EE 5-certified
application server, it's highly recommended trying out NetBeans IDE 6
as it has a decent tools for Java EE 5 development, but not a Geronimo
plugin (if it had a Geronimo plugin, I think it'd be the one I'd
recommend). I should also mention about the latest IBM offering that's
in the open beta program - IBM Rational Application Developer 7.5.
Although RAD 7.5's a commercial product (as is MyEclipse) that's based
on Eclipse IDE (as is MyEclipse), but has some very nice tools and
wizards for Java EE 5 that you need to try out yourself before picking
up the one for your team. Just give them a shot and see yourself which
one's the one that suits your needs. They're all unique in their
support for javaee5 and it's your homework to pick the one.

As to your last sentence - what didn't work for you?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl