geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS/FEEDBACK] Usability improvements to Geronimo
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:42:12 GMT

On Nov 5, 2007, at 7:59 AM, Mark Aufdencamp wrote:

> A piece of constructive criticism and feature request.
>
> I only have one major issue with Geronimo.   It involves shutting down
> the application server.  As a developer/administrator, I expect the
> container to cascade the shutdown to the included components.  This
> doesn't occur within the Tomcat GBean environment.
>
> I understand that a service can always crash and the application could
> be shutdown without cleanup/exit routines being processed.  However,
> when I stop the service on an application server as an
> administrator, I
> expect that the web applications would be stopped as well.  This
> doesn't
> occur.  It would be really nice if the container would shutdown the
> web
> apps so that context listener's "contextDestroyed" method  would be
> processed properly when the application server was stopped.
>
> I imagine this involves enhancing the Tomcat GBean to retrieve a
> collection of active web apps and then walking through them to stop
> each
> individual web app.  Currently one would need to log into the console
> and shutdown each web app before stopping the application server in
> order to properly process the Context Listeners.
>
> Truthfully, I haven't tested this in G2, but I know this is how 1.1
> functions and havent seen any discussion of the issue.

This seems more like a bug report than a feature request to me.
However, I'd be very surprised if this didn't work correctly in G2
due to the lifecycle support added to support dependency injection in
managed components include ServletContextListeners.  Would it be
possible for you to check to see if this is still a problem in G2 and
open a JIRA issue if it is?

thanks
david jencks