geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Janko Heilgeist <janko.heilge...@rzg.mpg.de>
Subject Deploying GBeans bundled inside an EAR
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:59:46 GMT
Hi,

on July 11th, 2006 Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Let's say you want to deploy certain GBeans when an EAR is deployed.
> The problem seems to be getting them onto the classpath for the EAR.
> The options seem to be somewhat forced:
>
>  - put them in a JAR in a RAR in the EAR
>  - put them in an EJB JAR in the EAR
>  - put them in a JAR in the EAR and add a reference to that JAR to the
> manifest Class-Path of an EJB JAR in the EAR
>  - put them in a JAR in the repository and add a dependency to
> geronimo-application.xml
>  - put them in a service module JAR or in a different application
> module using one of these options and add that module as a dependency
> in geronimo-application.xml
>
> Is that right?  It seems like it might be valuable to be able to
> include a JAR of GBeans in the EAR and somehow reference it from the
> geronimo-application.xml so it could be added to the EAR classpath
> without being in a J2EE module in the EAR, and still benefit from the
> hot deployment features and stuff that don't work as well for JARs in
> the repository.  That would also provide an option other than the
> manifest Class-Path for having multiple J2EE modules in an EAR refer
> to the same JAR in the EAR.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>     Aaron

Have there been any advances on this topic? I've seen a recent post by
David Jencks, that one can put the classes into a JAR inside the
lib-folder and describe the GBeans inside the geronimo-application.xml,
but although this deploys successfully for me, the GBean is never
started. All the documentation and tutorials available refer to pre-2.0
Geronimo and describe methods, that seem to be obsolete.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Janko