geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ObjectInputStream & ObjectOutputStream
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:46:11 GMT
Even when those classes were in Geronimo, they weren't being used.
Prior to the 2.0 release, Geronimo used the JVM-native ORB for its
rmiiiop support.  This had a number of issues, the biggest being that
different JVMs had different native implementations (including a big
change in the Sun one from 1.4 to 1.5).  The interop code was an early
attempt at replacing the JVM ORB and rmiiiop support with a portable
ORB.  That code had a lot of problems and never went anywhere, thought
the code remained in the svn tree for a long time.

In the 2.0 release, Geronimo started using the Yoko ORB for its CORBA
support which finally solved the JVM portability issue.  As the code was
getting switched over, the unused interop packages were finally deleted.

Rick