geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Mark Aufdencamp <m...@aufdencamp.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS/FEEDBACK] Usability improvements to Geronimo
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:59:09 GMT
A piece of constructive criticism and feature request.

I only have one major issue with Geronimo.   It involves shutting down
the application server.  As a developer/administrator, I expect the
container to cascade the shutdown to the included components.  This
doesn't occur within the Tomcat GBean environment.

I understand that a service can always crash and the application could
be shutdown without cleanup/exit routines being processed.  However,
when I stop the service on an application server as an administrator, I
expect that the web applications would be stopped as well.  This doesn't
occur.  It would be really nice if the container would shutdown the web
apps so that context listener's "contextDestroyed" method  would be
processed properly when the application server was stopped.

I imagine this involves enhancing the Tomcat GBean to retrieve a
collection of active web apps and then walking through them to stop each
individual web app.  Currently one would need to log into the console
and shutdown each web app before stopping the application server in
order to properly process the Context Listeners.

Truthfully, I haven't tested this in G2, but I know this is how 1.1
functions and havent seen any discussion of the issue.

My 2 cents for the day:)

Mark Aufdencamp
Mark@Aufdencamp.com