Mark,

I just pulled down Geronimo 2.0.1(Jetty, JEE5) and had no issues starting and stopping using the ./geronimo.sh command.  What behavior do you see when you try to stop the server?

I know that I didn't have to make any changes to my hosts file to get the server to work correctly, though I'm not in production so I left all the settings as default.  Also, I had some issues with java when I started and recreated the symlink for java on the system to point directly to the jre that I wanted to use.  I'm not sure if either of those differences could lead to a solution or a cause.

Jason Warner