geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: maven - geronimo 2.0 example build problem
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:22:16 GMT

On Oct 4, 2007, at 6:16 AM, dbrenck wrote:

> Still trying out to figure details - phonebook example:
>
> If I remove 'MyPhonebookBean.java' from the phonebook example and just
> rebuild the ejb.jar, geronimo creates the following error:
>
>> 14:36:34,562 ERROR [DirectoryHotDeployer] Unable to deploy:
>>     Cannot deploy the requested application module because no
>> deployer is
>> able
>>     to handle it.  This can happen if you have omitted the J2EE
>> deployment
>> descriptor,
>>     disabled a deployer module, or if, for example, you are trying to
>> deploy an EJB
>>     module on a minimal Geronimo server that does not have EJB
>> support
>> installed.
>>     (moduleFile=C:\Programme\Java\geronimo\geronimo-tomcat6-
>> jee5-2.0.1\
>>
>> var\temp\geronimo-deployer7872.tmpdir\test-ejb.jar)
>>     org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Cannot deploy the
>>     requested application module because no deployer is able to
>> handle it.
>> This can
>>     happen if you have omitted the J2EE deployment descriptor,
>> disabled a
>> deployer
>>     module, or if, for example, you are trying to deploy an EJB
>> module on
>> a minimal
>>     Geronimo server that does not have EJB support installed.
>>     (moduleFile=C:\Programme\Java\geronimo\geronimo-tomcat6-
>> jee5-2.0.1\
>>
>> var\temp\geronimo-deployer7872.tmpdir\test-ejb.jar)
>>     at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy
>> (Deployer.java:241)
>
> I tried the reverse way to add the class back and rebuild the jar.
> After
> doing so the deployer did not complain anymore.
>
> Ain't it possible to deploy Entity Beans standalone?

I haven't looked at the phonebook example in great detail but it
looks to me like the "entity" uses jpa and is not an ejb 2.x entity
bean.  As such, if there are no session beans in the jar, it's no
longer an ejb jar.  If there's an application.xml in the ear that
claims it is, geronimo will probably object.  If you want to use it
as a persistence unit referenced from the war I think you need to put
the jar in the ears lib directory or include a manifest classpath
entry in the war's META-INF/MANIFEST.MF pointing to the jar.

Hope I'm right and that this helps :-)

david jencks