geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Migrating tomcat to geronimo
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:41:19 GMT

On Oct 31, 2007, at 9:57 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Anil Arora wrote:
>> I’m doing an experiment porting our application to Geronimo from
>> Tomcat.  I am having a few difficulties with some of the
>> customization features which I need to also port.
>>

>> For Tomcat, I have a custom server.xml file, in which I turn off
>> hot deployment and hardcode the location of my webapplication.  I
>> also have a custom catalina.properties where I can stick my own
>> jars in the classpath.  I do all of this to avoid the extra step
>> of deploying that application.
>>

>> So, question is whether or not I can do similar things with
>> Geronimo.  Given the location of the Geronimo installation, I just
>> want to write a script that starts the server and have it already
>> know my extra jar files and the location of my webapp without
>> having to execute the deploy tool.
>>
>> Can this be done?
> I don't know of any way to bypass the deployment process for an
> application in Geronimo.  You can use Geronimo's hot deployment
> feature to avoid some of the manual steps involved in deployment,
> but you said that you actually turned that feature off in Tomcat so
> I assume it's not an acceptable solution.  There has been some
> discussion about adding this type of feature so that applications
> can be run from within an Eclipse workspace directory, but I don't
> think that anything usable has taken shape yet.   Feel free to open
> a feature request for this at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
> GERONIMO

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what Anil is requesting, but it looked to
me as if he might be interested in deploying his application as a
plugin, or just deploying it once and having it in the server, and
that he is looking for some of the features we actually support.

You can include any jars you want scoped to your application
classloader by putting them in appropriate locations in the geronimo
repo and including dependencies on them in the geronimo plan for your
app.

Are you trying to construct a server with your app already deployed
that you can distribute so that users can unpack and start and your
app will be running but they can't deploy more apps?  That is really
easy to do in trunk and only slightly harder in released geronimo
versions.  Basically you would turn your app into a plugin and use it
to construct a custom server than has only the geronimo components
needed to support the app.  If this is what you are aiming for let us
know and tell us which geronimo version(s) you can use and we can
give you more instructions.

thanks
david jencks