geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Migrating tomcat to geronimo
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:53:57 GMT

On Oct 31, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Anil Arora wrote:

> [...]

So far I don't see why you would have to write any extra code.
> Is there a way to have a custom classloader that doesn't use this plan
> mechanism?  If I'm going to build custom code, I'd might as well write
> this.  This would help me avoid moving lib files around.  One
> problem is
> that these libraries are used for other command line scripts.

If I understand correctly you want the additional libraries to be in
a particular location rather than putting them in the geronimo
repository?  We supply a shared-lib configuration that lets you add
all the jars in a directory into that configurations classloader, so
you might just include that as a parent of your app in the geronimo
plan.  Otherwise you can include a SharedLib gbean in  your
applications plan directly and the jars will be in the same
classloader as the rest of your app.

> I would like to stick with a released version for stability
> reasons.  I
> currently have 2.0.

I recommend you do the following; it may result in a slightly larger
server than you need but is quite a bit simpler on pre-2.1 than the
alternatives to get the smallest possible server.

1. start with one of the minimal geronimo servers (unless you want
e.g. the admin console, in which case you need one of the full
servers or 2.1 :-)
2. deploy your app on the server.
3. edit var/config/config.xml and remove any modules whose name ends
in -deployer (such as tomcat-deployer) (or add an attribute
load="false")
4. remove any extraneaous logs from var/log
5 zip up what's left and distribute it

If all goes well your users will get something they can unzip and run
with no further configuration but they won't be able to deploy any
more apps on it.  (If they know enough about geronimo they could re-
enable the deployers, but you can't really protect against stuff like
that; with tomcat they could re-enable the hot deploy directory).

hope this helps!
david jencks