geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Christopher Blythe" <cjblyth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Daytrader for DaCapo
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:24:17 GMT
Steve...

Let me see if I can tackle most of the questions you posed. Before, diving
in, let me express my thanks for willingness to dig through the README, etc.
and point out things that are confusing or just plain in-accurate. For
better or for worse, most of the people involved with the DayTrader are so
familiar with it, that things like the README and FAQ fall through the
cracks. We do our best given the "free" time we have, and any extra help is
always appreciated.

So, for the most part, DayTrader is meant to be a web-based application. So
most of the functionality is provided by the web ui accessible via
http://localhost:8080/daytrader. The "Go Trade" link that was referred to in
the documentation should actually be renamed to the "Trading & Portfolios"
tab.

Regarding the J2EE clients (streamer and web services client), these are
merely sample J2EE clients included with DayTrader to demonstrate
functionality of a JMS, EJB, and web services client. These are not intended
for any type of load testing. The command listed to launch these clients are
simply wrong. The path to the jar file should be based on it's location
within the Geronimo repository. Something like the following...

java -jar bin/client.jar org.apache.geronimo.daytrader
/daytrader-streamer-client/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car

You will also need to ensure that the yoko orb is used instead of the orb
provided by the JDK by adding the java.endorsed.dirs property. I think it
would be something like the following, but you may need to tweak it a bit to
make sure that it is truly overriding the JDK.

-Djava.endorsed.dirs=<geronimo_home>/lib/endorsed

As for the TradeScenarioServlet, this is actually something we have
contemplated removing. The preferred way of driving DayTrader is to develop
a set of load driving scripts using one of the many tools on the market
(LoadRunner, Grinder (open source), etc.). We would really like to have a
standard set of scripts that we could deliver with DayTrader based on an
open-source load driving tool. Unfortunately, we haven't found one that
works quite as well as the commercial ones. So, we leave that up to the user
for the time being.

Hope this helps...

Chris