geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating tomcat to geronimo
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:57:51 GMT
On Oct 31, 2007, at 12:16 PM, Anil Arora wrote:
> I’m doing an experiment porting our application to Geronimo from
> Tomcat.  I am having a few difficulties with some of the
> customization features which I need to also port.
>

> For Tomcat, I have a custom server.xml file, in which I turn off
> hot deployment and hardcode the location of my webapplication.  I
> also have a custom catalina.properties where I can stick my own
> jars in the classpath.  I do all of this to avoid the extra step of
> deploying that application.
>

> So, question is whether or not I can do similar things with
> Geronimo.  Given the location of the Geronimo installation, I just
> want to write a script that starts the server and have it already
> know my extra jar files and the location of my webapp without
> having to execute the deploy tool.
>
> Can this be done?
I don't know of any way to bypass the deployment process for an
application in Geronimo.  You can use Geronimo's hot deployment
feature to avoid some of the manual steps involved in deployment, but
you said that you actually turned that feature off in Tomcat so I
assume it's not an acceptable solution.  There has been some
discussion about adding this type of feature so that applications can
be run from within an Eclipse workspace directory, but I don't think
that anything usable has taken shape yet.   Feel free to open a
feature request for this at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
GERONIMO

Best wishes,
Paul