geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Preble, Adam" <adam.pre...@amd.com>
Subject Tuning Daytrader for high CPU utilization
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 03:40:56 GMT
I got Daytrader to work from the Daytrader trunk on Apache Geronimo
2.0.1.  I run vmstat and see that I'm about 94% idle.  I'm certain
there's a synthetic bottleneck in here, but I'm not good at tuning
Apache Geronimo.  I was hoping for some help squeezing more out of this
system.

I'm running the application server on SLES10 SP1 rc5 I've kicked it off
with JVMs from Sun, IBM, and BEA.  My database side is a DB2 database
that has loaded much more than this before.  I also have a load
generator running that is just about twiddling its thumbs.  I get about
100 pages per second tops, regardless of JVM.  There are gigabit
connections between everything on a private switch.

I've noticed that every URL access is getting logged to disk.  Is there
a way to shut that off?  I was curious how much that could be slowing me
down.

Outside of that, I don't understand how the thread pools are working in
Geronimo.  The DB pools are pretty straightforward, and I have a maximum
of 150 connections; I tend to keep as many DB connections open as I
would simultaneous clients.

I also notice the load size for Daytrader is rather small.  Can it
create a larger database profile?  I fear that with 200 users and 400
stocks that I will have synchronization delays with the database.  I
don't think that's what is holding me off here-yet.

Any help would be appreciated.  I thought I sent a subscribe message to
the server, but I haven't heard any confirmation messages or anything
else yet.