geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Mark Aufdencamp <m...@aufdencamp.com>
Subject Geronimo 2.0.1 on Ubuntu
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:31:31 GMT
Hi All,

I attended the Ohio Linux Fest (www.ohiolinuxfest.org) this weekend and
decided to get adventurous by installing Geronimo 2 on my clean Ubuntu
workstation.

I was able to install the Sun 1.5 JRE and JDK successfuly and was quite
impressed with the package managements ability to give me java -version
and javac -version responses on the first try.  However, the package
manager did not set the JAVA_HOME environment variable in the bashrc.
Geronimo's scripts require the environment variable.  Fortunately, I'm
familiar with linux and java environment variables and had an "export
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/" (update-java-alternatives -l)
without any need to google.

I downloaded and extracted both Eclipse-Europa-JEE5 and Geronimo-2.0.1.
Eclipse started with a simple double click and I was open for business,
minus an application server of course.  Geronimo decided that it
wouldn't be as easy.

I attempted to start Geronimo a couple times and then dug into the log
files.  I discovered the j2ee-security server GBean did not want to
start with a "Cannot bind to URL [rmi://0.0.0.0:1099/JMXconnector]:"
error message logged.  This also identified the /etc/hostname as the
binding attempt name (UbuntuBox). I reviewed my network hosts
configuration file and discovered that I did not have a host name
without the domain defined on the loopback address.  After chasing a few
things in Ubuntu's Network configuration, I finally named the host
UbuntuBox.domain.tld, which now appears in the /etc/hostname file.  I
was then able to successfully start the server.   For the record,
Ubuntu's Network utility would not place a single host entry without the
domain qualifier on it in the /etc/hosts file.

So now I have a server that was able to start with a valid name up and
running.  I'm able to log into the console manager, etc..  However, the
./geronimo.sh stop command will not shutdown the server.  Any ideas from
anyone else running on Ubuntu?

BTW,  I liked what I saw so far on the 2.0 console!

TIA,

Mark Aufdencamp
Mark@Aufdencamp.com