geronimo-user mailing list archives

From BradNexen <>
Subject Permission denied running as non-root user
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:46:35 GMT

When starting geronimo as a non-root user - I am getting the following error:

13:10:43,697 ERROR [[Deployment]] Servlet.service() for servlet Deployment
threw exception /tmp/gjms.war (Permission denied)

I have followed the steps below to run geronimo as a non-root user:

The following tasks should be performed while logged as root or a user with
enough access rights.

   1. create a new user (i.e. gmo) and add it to a specific user group. You
could use the predefined www user group for instance.
   2. edit the .bashrc for the user you just created and add the PATH and
JAVA_HOME variables:
      export PATH
      export JAVA_HOME
   3. change the user group to all the subdirs in <geronimo_home>
      chown -R root:www <geronimo_home>
   4. create a deploy directory within the <geronimo_home> directory
   5. change the access permissions to the following directories
      chmod -R 774 <geronimo_home>/bin
      chmod -R 774 <geronimo_home>/deploy
      chmod -R 774 <geronimo_home>/repository
      chmod -R 774 <geronimo_home>/var