geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem with defining custom Valve in config.xml
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:16:56 GMT
On Sep 20, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
>
>> Put your jars in <GERONIMO_HOME>/lib/endorsed dir.
>
> Heh. How many answers can we give... ;-)
>
> I was thinking we had lib/endorsed issues on 1.1. We don't set it
> as command line option when invoking java. And am not sure how well
> manifest.mf controls this.
>
> Assuming this works, it's better than the two hacks. We still need
> a better solution, IMHO...

I also seem to recall some issue with using lib/endorsed in 1.1.  But
if it works then it's definitely the easiest solution.   A similar
issue has come up before in the context of replacing Tomcat classes
and this type of approach didn't work well [1].   But that
circumstance was a little different since Carver needs to add classes
to Tomcat's classloader, not replace them.

I think it would be great to have some way to edit a component's
environment without having to redeploy it.   Redeploying a component
can be difficult because the original plan is not kept after
deployment.   In Geronimo 2.1 (not released yet) the deployment plans
for Geronimo's native components like Tomcat are available in the
repository which would have made this particular task easier.

Best wishes,
Paul

[1]  http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-replacing-tomcat-classes-
p4346533s134.html