geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject JBoss SAR replacement
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:34:42 GMT
Hi all,

we are currently investigating alternatives to JBoss AS. While Geromino
looks really, really promising, I could not quite make out whether
Geronimo features an equivalent to JBoss SARs, we absolutely need. In
case you are not familiar with SARs, here's the bottom line:

* SARs are similar to EARs in that they present a self-contained
application including descriptors, Code and, possibly libraries.
* In contrast to EARs, SARs don't deploy enterprise applications (Web
Applications, EJBs), but services.
* Services are quite simply MBeans implementing a service interface that
lets the service hook into the container life-cycle (start/stop) along
with a descriptor detailing dependencies etc.

This sounds a lot like GBeans, however, I don't see how GBeans can be
deployed in a self-contained fashion. To make this a bit clearer, here
is our use case:

* Deploy services other than J2EE apps. Think, for example,
implementations of classic UNIX services like NFS, TFTP etc.
* We would like to be able to just drop the service packages somewhere
for deployment.
* They should be self-contained so that they can use their own isolated
class loader, in order to overcome possible library version conflicts.
* Of course we need the life-cycle hooks.
* Oh, and did I mention: hot (re-) deployment would be great...

Does Geronimo offer something along those lines?

Thanks
Joerg Henne

--
levigo software gmbh  ----------  ein unternehmen der levigo gruppe
Max-Eyth-Strasse 30                        Telefon: 07031 / 4161-30